In this podcast, we cover a variety of questions that all funnel back to one concept in this industry – ”How the hell are we going to stay afloat?” Through these amazing questions from our Shane’s Inner Circle Community, I’m here to discuss how I’ve kept going the last 30+ years and everything you need to consider as you progress on your film productions. It’s no easy feat. I think this podcast will help you not only advance, but help guide you by painting a picture on how great this industry really is!
SIC Podcast Ep.6 is now available on iTunes!
(Shane Hurlbut (Director & DP) on the set of “Case IH” commercial)
Some of the questions we’ll be answering are:
- Understanding the technique of smash glass filters.
- How to properly utilize and rig various FX filters to your camera.
- How a scene naturally unfolds on set and what you’ll need to consider on major motion pictures.
- The best systems for communication on film productions.
- Understanding walkie-talkies and comms in film productions.
- Breaking down the set hierarchy and the delegation of duties on set.
- When to delegate tasks and when to execute tasks yourself.
- Understanding the collaboration between director and dp and having a director operate shots.
- How to be fearless and take on the industry head first. The importance of having self-confidence in this industry.
Working in the film industry will be a series of “ups” and “downs”, but what you have to do is figure out that why you continue to push forward. My advice is to hold onto what you love and fight for your creative vision. Go forward fearlessly and work hard for what you believe in, and it will come true.
If you have questions, head over to the Hurlbut Academy and submit them today. To do so, you’ll need to be a member of our online community. So join up if you haven’t already!