The ShotDeck Recreations Contest calls upon all filmmakers, photographers, and creatives across the internet to partake in the ultimate 2023 challenge. It’s time to put your skills to the test and see how you stack up against your fellow challengers.
The contest takes place throughout the month of July until the 31st at 11:59 PM GMT. With over $60,000 in prizes, the most formidable image-makers will walk away with more than street cred. On top of that, your work will be reviewed by Celebrity Judges which makes for the perfect opportunity to stand out to tastemakers.
- Greig Fraser, ASC, ACS
- Mandy Walker, AM, ACS, ASC
- Todd Phillips
- Natasha Braier, ASC, ADF
- Erik Messerschidt, ASC
Presented by ShotDeck, the world’s largest database of high-definition cinematic images, there’s no other video licensing company that comes even close. Especially since the Director of Photography of Joker, Garden State, and The Hangover, Lawrence Sher, ASC, is also the founder of ShotDeck. We’re talking about imagery that’s worthy of a master cinematographer.
Lawrence Sher, ASC behind the scenes of Joker. Photo: Warner Bros.
PAST SHOTDECK RECREATIONS WINNERS
There’s no better way to gain inspiration for this year’s ShotDeck Recreations Contest than to look at the winners from last year.
SHOTDECK RECREATIONS CONTEST PRIZES
- (1) Sony FX6 Camera
- (1) Sony FX30 Camera +CI Media Cloud Subscription
- (3) Sony FX3 Cameras
- PT4c 2-Light Kit / amaran 300c + Light Dome II
- Amaran 200x S + Light Dome Mini II / amaran PT2c
- (2x) amaran 100d S + Light Stand + Light Box 45×45
- Amaran PT2c 2-Light Kit
- (2x) amaran F22c V-mount + Light Stand / amaran F21c + Light Stand
- Amaran 150c + Fresnel 2x / amaran PT2c
- (3x) amaran p60x + np-f550 Battery
- (3) DMG Dash CRMX + DOT
- (6) MIXBOOKS
- (2) DMG DASH Quad Kit w/ CRMX
- (1) DMG MINI Kit
- (20) Annual All Access Subscriptions – includes Live Masterclasses
- (25) Monthly All Access Subscriptions
- (4) Licenses for Resolve Studio 18
- (2) DaVinci Speed Editors
- (10) Remote Trigger Top Handles
- (4) Base Kits for the Sony FX3/30 Cameras
- The Ultimate Kit for the Sony FX6
- (2) DOMKE Camo Backpacks
- (1) Warm Diffusion Filter Set
- (1) Lowel Blender XL Light
- (5) Universal Accessory Bags for each Sony Camera
- (1) Mivlus Lens (Focal Length & Mount of Winner’s choosing!)
- (1) Sumo Studio 19 Monitor
- (1) 1535 Air w/ TrekPak
- (1) Micro M50 Case
- (1) 0945 CF-Express Card Case
- (1) 1485 Air w/ TrekPak
- $500 Gift Card
- (10) Digital Yearly Subscriptions
- (1) Copy of the AC Manual (11th Edition)
- (10) Digital Yearly Subscriptions
Learn more about British Cinematographer, a publication that unites all cinematographers around the world.
THE CINE LENS MANUAL
- (2) Hardcover Copies
SHOTDECK RECREATIONS CATEGORIES
There are plenty of categories to enter which means there are many ways to win! These categories include Best Lighting and Best DIY Setup.
Check out the bonus categories below and their sponsors…
SONY MUSIC VIDEO MOTION CHALLENGE
We just dropped 100 Music Videos on ShotDeck along with our new Clipfinder feature! Find a motion shot from your favorite music video and recreate a few seconds of it to be entered into our first-ever video category!
SIDUS LINK CHALLENGE
Download the FREE Sidus Link App and use the DIAGRAM MASTER feature when planning out your recreation! Submit your overhead diagram as part of your BTS and automatically be entered into this category!
ROSCO COLOR WITHIN IMAGERY CHALLENGE
ShotDeck is proud to announce we’ve integrated Rosco Gel Color References into our library! Pick a color from our Rosco Color Integration and choose a shot from the results; then recreate it to the best of your abilities. Make sure to include the Rosco Color Name when you submit!
HIGHEST DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY CHALLENGE
It’s time to enter the gauntlet! We are one of the sponsors supporting the ShotDeck Recreations Contest for the Highest Degree of Difficulty Challenge. We will be awarding 20 Annual Subscriptions for All Access membership and 25 Monthly Subscriptions for All Access membership!
- Create a homemade photo recreation of a movie/tv/music video image and post it to your Instagram account with the hashtag #shotdeckrecreations as well as submit it to our official DropBox Folder.
- When submitting to Dropbox you must include: your recreation, BTS of your process, a submission form, and a parental consent form (if between 13-18)
- The contest begins at 12:01 AM GMT on July 1, 2023, and ends at 11:59 PM GMT on July 31, 2023.
- No cost to enter.
- All original shots must be shots available on the ShotDeck Database. If you don’t have a subscription, you can get a free (no credit card needed) 2-week trial here: https://shotdeck.com/welcome/trial
- Post your submission using the format: Original inspiration photo on top and Recreation photo underneath. See the example below.
5. Contestants must upload behind-the-scenes (“BTS”) photos of their setup with each submission; we want to see just how creative you got! BTS submissions will factor into the judging.
6. Recreated Shots and BTS images must also be submitted in a folder to our DropBox link, using the naming convention: “LastName_FirstName_Movie/TV title (i.e. Sher_Lawrence_Her) along with this Submission Form.
7. Must be 13 years of age or older to enter. If over 13 years of age but under 18 years of age, you must fill out a Parental Consent Form and submit it with your entry to the Dropbox folder.
8. No VFX or Comping allowed. All shots must be done in camera. Color correction is allowed.
9. No Nudity or Extreme Violence.
Please adhere to the PG-13 MPAA guidelines when choosing your images.
10. Winners will be announced in August 2023 on Instagram and on the ShotDeck website’s blog. ShotDeck will contact the winners with the contact information from their Dropbox submission. ShotDeck will not use the entrant’s contact information for any other purpose beyond contracting the entrant for the purpose of informing them of their status as a winner and distributing the prize. Also, ShotDeck will not sell the entrant’s contact information data to third parties. Reasonable postage and handling fees may apply for some prize items.
11. This contest is not sponsored by, endorsed, or administered by Instagram, Meta, Twitter, or TikTok. It is fully sponsored by Filmmakers Research Lab, LLC dba shotdeck.com and its contributing vendor sponsors who have chosen to contribute prizes to this contest. ShotDeck and entrants release Instagram and/or any of its parent or affiliated companies from any liability related to this contest.
12. By submitting, you agree to our Terms and Conditions Document.
By submitting, ShotDeck has the right in perpetuity to repost or use your submission images on our blog, in future publicity, and in marketing materials or press. Through entry, the entrant further permits ShotDeck the right in perpetuity to use the entrant’s name and likeness associated with the entry in the event that the entrant wins the contest.
13. Winners will be chosen solely by ShotDeck and a select group of judges chosen by ShotDeck. The winners will be selected solely on the recreated images and the behind-the-scenes images submitted. Judging is blind to the gender, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status of the person(s) submitting.
- Specific judging criteria for recreated images and behind-the-scenes images are as follows: originality, creativity, artistic merit, skill level involved, and technical quality
If the winner’s prize is of a value greater than $600.00 the winner will need to provide all the appropriate IRS information to ShotDeck to comply with all United States and California contest rules. Prizes will be announced on July 1st, 2023.
- Additionally, due to recent tariff regulations, we may not be able to send physical items at a value of $1,000 or above to these countries: China, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia, Italy, and Spain. When submitting, please remember that having a contact or second address in the United States will be the best way to receive your prizes.
- We will not be able to send any physical prizes to Russia and Ukraine.
15. If you work for ShotDeck or are related to an employee of ShotDeck, you cannot qualify to win a prize but are welcome to enter.
SHOTDECK RECREATIONS CONTEST SPONSORS
- Sidus Link
- Filmmakers Academy
- Blackmagic Design
- Kondor Blue
- Wooden Camera
- American Cinematographer
- British Cinematographer
- The Cine Lens Manual
ShotDeck is the premier visual reference platform for filmmakers. With an extensive library of film images from a diverse range of genres, ShotDeck enables filmmakers to find and reference visual inspiration quickly and easily. It is a valuable resource for professionals and aspiring filmmakers alike.